My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, Florida, United States

A reader and a writer. A dreamer and a doer.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

For the next three days I will be very busy, so ..... no blogging!

Will y'all miss me??? I hope so!!!

Last week I had to buy a new mobile phone, because my old one died. Since that is my only telephone, I didn't waste any time replacing it. Just in time, because in the last two days, I picked up two new customers. One of them was just a "one-up" but, hey, money is money, and I never know where my next referral will come from! At any rate, they are paying me $30 per hour, so I'm happy. The job will take me 7 or 8 hours - that will pay between $200 and $250, so no complaints.

The other new client is a rental real estate agent I met a year ago who got really mad at her old cleaning service and fired them, because they were not doing a careful job. Now, she is calling me and asking if I can service her clients. (Shucks, yeah!!)

This week, I need to fix another technological problem. My backup hard drive doesn't have enough space to hold all my data anymore. The backup drive holds 40 gigs, and it is full. My pc's hard drive holds 100 gigs and I have used up 44 gigs on that, so it was probably inevitable that this would happen. I'm SHOCKED that I managed to fill up 40 gigs of backup space, but, whatever .....

I NEED to back up my data, because it is my lifeline - personally and professionally. So, I went looking for a new, larger external hard drive to back up my stuff.

I got a price of $92 for an external drive that holds 250 gigs. I guess that sounded alright, but ....

My computer tech suggested I check into a web service called "Carbonite." He explained that it's a web-based backup service. According to him, this is how it works: It costs $46 per year. When you set it up, you can specify which of your files you want to back up, so you don't have to back up all your programs, just your "personal profile" - the stuff that is unique to you, your personal, professional and business data. Once you have set it up, any time that you are online, the Carbonite server automatically and continuously backs up any and all changes you make to your designated files.

For example: if I purchased this service, I would designate my WORD documents to be "monitored" files. Whenever I was online (which means, whenever my computer is turned on,) Carbonite would immediately and continuously capture and update any changes I made to MSWord. So, whenever I am sitting at my desk, writing, everything I write is being updated onto the online server. My computer could crash in the middle of an intense writing session, and I would not lose anything I had just written. Same thing goes for my email program, my pictures, everything ....

The yearly fee makes it much more expensive than purchasing a new backup drive, but the sophistication of the service is enticing, and potentially very valuable.

Have any of you heard of Carbonite? If you have, what report can you give me? I am seriously considering it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home