My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, Florida, United States

A reader and a writer. A dreamer and a doer.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Last Saturday I went to the Earth Day celebration at Koreshan Park. The day always ends with a big drum circle. I always go with my three drums - a pair of tablas and a djembe. I learned first on the tablas, and although they are supposedly difficult to play, I'm most comfortable with them. Usually, my djembe gets used by onlookers who want to try it out, or one of the beat leaders borrows it, because it has a nice, strong tone. This time, I had my camera and got in the mood to take pictures. I ended up with almost 50 pictures - some of them pretty cool. Here are a few.

The first one is a guy playing a djembe.

This one is of a guy playing the lead congo drum set.

The circle is pretty wide, most people sitting or standing around. This couple caught my eye - he is playing a djembe and she is using the shakers, or whatever they are called. Aren't they a sweet couple?


The costumed dancer in this next picture was very talented. The girl she is dancing with is her mother.

The girl was obviously very flexible!

Here is a true, "flower child." She had a coronet of silk flowers, and multicoloured ribbons woven through her hair, and she was dancing joyously to the beat of the drums:





The park is dog-friendly, and there were almost as many dogs as people. This gal's companion watched as she dreamily played a triangle:




This little lady was trying out an instrument that fascinated her:





This mother had her 2-month old baby with her, and I think the drums were relaxing him, because he was yawning and nodding off against her chest. I love the pose I caught him in:






No idea what made this "farmer dude" come to the park, smoking cigarettes which everyone hated and shaking his body to the beat, but he stood on the outside for a long time, obviously enjoying the music:





Through it all, there was me, taking lots of pictures. Periodically, I would sit in front of my tablas and play for a while, or grab my djembe if it wasn't being played by someone else. I "grew a wild hair" and had a flower painted on my cheek:


Well, that's it for another year. There will be the usual Saturday night drum circles in Naples, and I go there once in long while. But, they aren't nearly as colourful as this one!
Hope you liked my pictures.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home