My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, Florida, United States

A reader and a writer. A dreamer and a doer.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

My little prince, Rocco, has been causing me some concern. I took him to the vet first thing this morning for bloodwork.

A couple months ago, I noticed that he was drinking an inordinate amount of water - much more than he usually does. I recalled that when people start doing this, it is a sign of possible diabetes. Just as I was starting to worry and think about calling the vet, this behaviour stopped, so I stopped worrying.

For the last week or two, he has been doing it again, even worse. Usually, he drinks less than one bowl of water daily. Now, he drinks one in the morning and one in the afternoon, maybe even more. Yesterday, I came home after being away for a few hours. He had spent the whole time resting on his bed, with no physical exertion, but he had drank his full bowl completely dry and peed his potty pad full. I refilled the bowl and he eagerly drank off half of it, very fast. I called the vet and scheduled an appointment this morning. I filled his bowl again, and by bedtime, it was empty.

I will get a call this afternoon telling me the results of the blood test.

If I have to give him daily insulin injections, this will be a major, huge, astronomical PROBLEM!!! I have a problem with needles. When Rocco gets a shot or a blood test, I have to leave the room - I cringe and cry, just watching it. I couldn't even give myself allergy injections. How I could manage to hold Rocco still for the shot, then actually puncture his skin with a needle and shoot the syringe into him, is something I can't even imagine doing.

Guess you could say that I am "pathologically non-violent."

He was begging for his breakfast this morning, as usual. But I couldn't feed him or give him water until after the blood test. When we got home I gave him his breakfast, and he refused it. He is probably too upset about having the blood test, and it has ruined his appetite. I am SO BUMMED OUT!!!!! Guess I will put the food back in the fridge and put out a bowl of water for him. Maybe he will eat a little later today.

Oh, I hope with all my heart that he doesn't have diabetes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home