My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, Florida, United States

A reader and a writer. A dreamer and a doer.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

all week, i have been wanting to eat steamed green beans, or asparagus - one or the other - seasoned with sea salt, drizzled with butter and lots of fresh-squeezed lime juice. i always buy my vegetables at the local, organic market, and they haven't had either one.

today, the store manager called me and said that they still couldn't get the asparagus i most wanted, but they had a big bag of green beans. i went there right after work to get some.

the manager offered me a 20% discount if i bought the whole bag, and i accepted.

may God help me!!!! what have i gotten myself into? now, i have green beans "coming out of my ears," and no possible way to eat them all before they spoil.

so, i am going back to my childhood training and preparing to freeze most of them. i will prep them, parboil them and freeze them in single-sized portions. (yummmm!)

i had forgotten how much WORK it is to prep and freeze fresh veggies. i plugged in my favourite movie (My Fair Lady) and started in on the job.

the work is going slow.

in the middle of getting started, one of my customers called me, sounding desperate. he had arrived at his condo and realized that he had left his security passcard and condo key back home in the midwest. he was stranded in a parking lot, and he was supposed to be picking up both his brother and his business partner at the airport in 30 minutes, to bring them back to the condo. i drove over there, used my passcard to get him through the gate, used the card to get him into the building, and "my" key to open his condo. i made sure he could get into the main gate again tonight. he had a door key stashed inside the condo, and he can get a new passcard tomorrow morning. he tried to give me money, but i refused. i charge him for cleaning, but for something like this, i won't accept money.

meanwhile, back at the ranch, those beans were waiting for me, so i got started on them. i washed them, then divided them into two large containers filled with cold water. now, i am working on snipping off the ends and cutting them in half to fit into my freezer bags. i dragged my "erstwhile" coffee table over, in front of my favourite chair, and set up shop. here is what the operation looks like:


rocco decided he like the smell of fresh green beans, and he came begging.

"please, mommy, can i have some?"

sucker that i am, i offered him a chunk.

"oh, sugar, of course you can have a taste"


he went for it:


got it!!!!!



and then, took off with the bean, so he could eat it on the floor mat by the door. he NEVER eats any treat that i give him, unless he is standing on a carpet.

since then, he ate many more green beans.
he has had to go out once, to poop, and right now, he is sleeping on his cushion. i shouldn't have given him so much - i'm afraid of waking up tomorrow morning to little pools of green puke on the terazzo. but, he ENJOYED EVERY BITE! how can i deny my little prince his pleasure? he is cut off now - no more green beans for rocco!
ok, back to my movie and my chore. i don't have to work until noon tomorrow, so if i stay up late with these beans, and sleep late, it's ok.
this is SO BORING. when the best thing i can blog about is green beans and my little dog, i've got to wonder ........ but, i've been crunching them, along with rocco, and the raw beans are taking away the earlier stomach upset i got from eating a hot dog (what was i thinking?????)
EAT MORE VEGGIES!!!!!!





1 Comments:

Blogger Nina Warrior said...

Rocco is a crazy dog! Remember trying to feed me green beans? It was World War III, but Rocco is begging for it :)

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home