My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, Florida, United States

A reader and a writer. A dreamer and a doer.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

My lower back is slowly -s - l - o - w - l - y getting better. I keep icing it down, periodically, whenever I have an excuse to sit still for a while, which isn't very often.

Meanwhile, I've abandoned my writing for the time being. All my spare time and creative energy needs to be focused on one thing, and one thing only: studying the Dutch language again, preparing for my trip to Holland in less than 2 months.

While clearing out my storage unit, I finally found the boxes with my language learning materials. I'm so grateful that I bought the Rosetta Stone package for Dutch. I've messed around with it before, and spent enough time in Holland to get a basic understanding of it, so I'm not exactly starting from scratch with this.

Last night I spent 4 hours cramming my brain with the language. Figured I should start out with a marathon, to give myself a "jump start." This morning, my head is swimming with meisjes, vogels and tafels. The kit has an accompanying audio cd that I put into my car. I am committed to leaving my cd player turned on for the next 7 weeks, so that as soon as I turn the key in my ignition, the language will be drilled into my brain.

Fortunately, the grammar in this language is uncomplicated and easy for English-speakers to grasp, and the language is reliably, phonetically correct. It's actually a very straightforward language - very sensible and logical.

I'm off to the dentist this morning. Trying to get a diagnosis of why I still have such pain and tenderness in a tooth that I got a crown put on last fall. It's a scary proposition, because the crown was put on in Bulgaria, so there is nobody here who will fix it for free. This could get expensive! Hopefully, I won't have to fly south to Bulgaria while I'm in Holland, to get it fixed. I don't have time to spend there during this trip "across the pond." I have too much to do in Holland, and I also hope to make a quick trip to Prague, in the Czech Republic. No time for dental work this summer!

"Groetjes" (that means "greetings" and is used when saying goodbye, or signing off a phone call or letter.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home