My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, Florida, United States

A reader and a writer. A dreamer and a doer.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Here are some of my favourite scenes from Friesland's countryside.  We ran across these two boys fishing in a canal one day, and stopped to chat with them.  They hadn't caught anything, but were still hopeful.


Here is a typical scene.  This breed of milk cattle is called the Holstein-Friesian, nowadays just called Holsteins, and the breed came from Friesland.  It is the one most people think of when they think of cows.  This breed produces the largest quantity of milk with a fairly high fat content, for making cream and butter.

Sheep are everywhere.  They are raised for their wool, for their milk to make cheese, and for meat.


I just couldn't get over how cute sheep are, up close.  They are totally friendly, not shy in the least.  When you rub their wool, your hands get covered in that wonderful lanolin their skin produces.  It makes your skin sooooo smooth and soft!  They sound so sweet, baa-ing to each other.  I swear it almost sounds like language, and I suppose it actually is a language, but I just can't decipher it.  Here are two of the cutest sheep I was able to get a shot of:





Grain fields .........


And potato fields .................


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home