My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, Florida, United States

A reader and a writer. A dreamer and a doer.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back in Amsterdam now for my final "fling" in Holland before flying home on Tuesday.

Friday and Saturday were busy days. I went to Dokkum to stay with another cousin there. She and her husband took me on an extensive tour of the north part of the province of Friesland, where the earliest settlements were in this part of the world. I got to see ancient dwelling mounds, built centuries before the time of Christ. Enjoyed this tour immensely, took dozens of pictures, and learned a lot about local history and about the amazing system of water level control the Dutch have created. It is absolutely MIND BOGGLING! Seeing this with my own eyes really helps me understand the scope and intelligence of their systems. As well, I just loved soaking up all the beauty of the area.

Pictures will be coming later ....

Tomorrow I plan to visit an ancient castle near Amsterdam, named Muiderslot castle.

I'm back at the same hostel I stayed at before. It's a lot quieter here on a Sunday night than it was the last time, which was at the end of a week. Peaceful here in the cafeteria. Think I will walk around the corner for a cheap glass of beer, then turn in for the night.

Groetjes, alles! ("Bye, everyone!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home