My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, Florida, United States

A reader and a writer. A dreamer and a doer.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

The biggest and best news deserves a separate blog post. Finally, after more than a year of lengthy, painful process, Helen is here - here to stay!!!

I have a new neice. My brother and sister-in-law are thrilled but honestly, I think my brother is the most thrilled, although the girl isn't actually HIS blood relation, but Dawn's. It doesn't matter. Dave has always wanted children, and for whatever reason, he and Dawn haven't conceived. But there was John, who is 13 now, and Dave has loved that boy and raised him just like a biological son. Now, Helen will have the benefit of their love and care.

Helen knows that she is leaving her dad for good, but doesn't seem to be all that upset. Probably because her dad was always blowing off his visits, always in and out of rehab and homeless shelters, just living the classic life of a street junkie in NYC. Helen hasn't mentioned her mom lately, and Dave and Dawn aren't going to bring up the subject right away. Helen might as well be a total orphan - mom dead and dad a deadbeat. I know she will have a good life here, with us. She is only 4 years old, so we're hoping she won't be permanently traumatized by her life to date. Things will be stable for her, from now on.

I will be going there next week for a quick visit. I could wait until late July, when I will be going there anyway to fly out of Orlando to the Netherlands, but I just can't wait. Besides, I'm buying a car from Mom's neighbour, and need to go there to pick it up. So, I have two reasons to make the extra trip. I'll post some new pictures of our princess when I get back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home