My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, Florida, United States

A reader and a writer. A dreamer and a doer.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

OK, it's time for me to put this out on my blog. I have recently learned that there are other people reading this thing - not just the occasional family member or friend, as I had thought. I've been surprised to discover that my blog has been getting a number of "hits" from people I don't even know, so ....

Anyone who knows me at all, knows that I will never pass up a chance to climb up on a soapbox and "preach" about things that are important. So, for those of you who haven't already received a couple emails from me about this already, please check out this blog which I've been following:

http://trashvoyage.com

I started following this blog as a result of things I have been reading lately regarding the pollution of our oceans, specifically about the "Pacific Gyre" and the horrific accumulation of plastic waste that has accumulated there. The more I research this topic, the more concerned I become. I have even reduced the amount of fish I eat, because I'm worried about whether or not I am ingesting microscopic pieces of plastic into my system.

Some say "knowledge is power" and I agree. "Ignorance is bliss????" Maybe not .....

I firmly believe that the issue addressed on this blog, and the research being done on the mission chronicled in it, is more important than the current economic recession, global warming, the depletion of fossil fuels, the decimation of wildlife species, and so many other issues that are getting lots of national and international attention. CERTAINLY far more important than the death of a tragically disturbed pop star!!

This issue directly affects greater problems such as world hunger and the sustainability of our most basic, necessary natural resource - WATER!!!

Please, visit this blog. Follow it - that is, save it to your "favourites," check it regularly, and check out the various links on the right hand side of the blog. Take a few minutes to view the video logs, so you can get a feel for the scientific motivation behind the mission, and the serious intent of the people involved.

I just can't let this go. It's too important. As a human being, I am concerned about the sustainability of my natural environment and the food chain that supports all of us. As a Christian, I am apalled at our wanton destruction of the amazing, powerful, perfect world that God created. I can only imagine His chagrin as He watches what we are doing to His beautiful creation. What humanity is doing to this earth is comparable to someone painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. Actually, it's much worse than that, but it seemed like a good way of characterizing the sacrilege.

Earth is called "The Blue Planet" because it has so much water - the reason it is able to sustain so much life. Wouldn't it be a tragedy if, in the future, it became known as "The Plastic Planet" because plastic polluted all that water and killed off biological life forms?

Think about it .....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home