My Photo
Name:
Location: West Coast, Florida, United States

A reader and a writer. A dreamer and a doer.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

I've always been inclined to "go green" and thought it would be fun for some of you to see some of the ways I have been doing that, lately.

Recently I got three sprouting units and am growing fresh, organic sprouts on my kitchen table.  Here is a picture of my table:




Here is a close-up of the little sprouts growing inside:



And here is the mechanics of the setup:  water can for filling the reservoirs, drain hoses and jugs to drain the runoff water, a power strip to plug them in and a timer to control the times and duration of the automatic mist cycles:



Each little tray you see in the pictures grows an amount of sprouts that would cost around $8.00 in a store, and they wouldn't necessarily be organic - certainly not fresh.  I harvest the sprouts and use them the very first day they are ready.  It doesn't get any fresher than that!  The different varieties mature at different times, so the amount I harvest each day varies, but I estimate that I go through about $18.00 worth of sprouts daily.  I just juice them first thing each morning, and drink them.  If I want some to eat later in the day, I can just set some aside in the fridge, but so far I'm just drinking them.

So I'm eating "greener," saving money and eliminating the packaging completely. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home